Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Lives Outside of Mine

A subway car is a capsule, a cross section of humanity momentarily crystallized in as inoffensive a setting as stainless-steel and plastic can conjure. Every crevice of society can be seen on the subway at one time or another, the respectable, the questionable, the inconceivable, and all possible contortions of "the other half."

These people fascinate me. A sliver of my mind is always itching with the sizzle of unanswered questions. Who are the people I see on the subway? Why are they there, and where are they going? How did they come to look as they do, as tired or preppy or mentally unbalanced as they do? What does their clothing mean- is it choice, statement or necessity? Where do they live, and what are their livelihoods? When they look at me... what do they see?

I have no regular contact with these masses. Television is about as near as I come, and I am not so naive to imagine that life imitates art as exactly as it likes to pretend. I stare, glassy-eyed at these foreign lives with a swelling concoction of anxiety and fascination, a mist of unfamiliarity tinting and amplifying my curiosity.

I've yet to find a cure for this mild obsession- I don't even know where it comes from. But I suppose the curiosity is half the allure. I suspect many of the answers would raise issues I doubt I would enjoy discovering, and it's nice to know there is one aspect of my life I will never grow tired of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm 90% hungry...
Let's try to get off on the right stop next time (but we did manage not to squish anyone in the doors!)

Alisha said...

Ooh! You're a fellow people-watcher! :-)