Monday, January 17, 2005

The Play's the Thing- or is it?

I love electrifying plays. You know the kind, an experience that grasps your heart in it's fist and dangles you from the gilded ceiling until it lowers you down and cackles gleefully in your ear. I saw Twelve Angry Men on Motzei Shabbos, and oh my, was it phenomenal! The acting was supreme, the set was brilliant and the whole experience was just perfect. Best of all, my amazing mother somehow got third row orchestra seats... I honestly couldn't stop babbling until we reached the car.
It's funny, but I've never (in all my 17 years of vast experience...) found anything that gives me the same kind of intellectual, emotional high that seeing a play does. A special book can come close, but it still doesn't envelope me as unequivocally as a play does. Still, if I had to choose between the two, I think I would have to take the books. The headiness of a play is nearly priceless, but it's still worth less than the intimacy rewarded by a good book. (Oh dear, just look at me vacillating again!)

3 comments:

DANIELBLOOM said...

Dear Michal Schick,

I just discovered you via Robert Avrech's blog in Los Angeles (I am in China, go figure) and wow, I just want to say you are "a born writer." You write so well, so fluently, so fluidly. It is just amazing to see someone so young with such a flair for words. Keep your blog going, and someday, if inspiration hits you, write a novel, a play, some poems, any kind of BOOK! You are a born writer, and I just wanted to tell you how nice it is to discover someone with such talent. I mean it! I intend to keep reading your blogs from time to time. Distance no longer exists in the blogosphere. We are one family!
Cheers,

Danny B.
This is very interesting. Thanks for the heads up on this Ruby. Who is the founder creator of this 43 thing? Is a book in the works? Good idea to get people thinking. I love it.

Here's my idea:

http://nevertoolatetobegin.blogspot.com

M said...

Thank you!

DANIELBLOOM said...

Michal,

I MEANT IT. every word of it. You are a born writer. Keep going to your dream.

DB