Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Silent Falls

How can one describe the place
Where Niagara is falling?
This place it seems that human eyes
Were scarcely meant to see.

The words that flood my head
Stretch like thread across a chasm
Measured and fine, and perfectly accurate
But pitifully, obviously empty.

The power of this place is... penultimate
Awesome and awful and brilliant
The crashing and pounding thunders my chest
And smothers my heartbeat while whispering
That nowhere is safe from her fury.


I imagine that eloquents before me have tried
To capture Niagara in meters or prose
And perhaps, another day, I too will follow,
But not yet.

For while new in my mind Niagara remains
And the fluidity flows in the memory
My attempts will be useless, because the knowledge retains:

Freedom is breath for Niagara,
And she will not brook her restraint.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written! Niagra Falls is quite a site. Enjoyable trip as well!
~~~Sippy

rabbi neil fleischmann said...

The story about Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch comes to mind: When he was old he went to the alps and when questioned about it said that he suspected G-d would one day in Heaven ask him, "did you see my alps?"

Also, the quote of King David comes to mind - "To You silence is praise."

Finally I'm reminded of a poem I wrote at and about Nachal Arugot, my waterfall in Israel:

My fourth time to heaven
I was more hurt,cynical,aware

Three years had passed,
So long away from paradise

Seven people followed
But I always climbed alone

And you were always there

-------------------------

I'm glad I discovered your site through Toronto Pearl.

M said...

Thanks Yingele. I should put some new things up soon, I've just been insanely busy this week with graduation and such.

Anonymous said...

Man, it was so well written you could almost see it and hear the rushing of the falls. It reminds me of a seashell because of that fact.

goodshluffin' said...

oh my wow!
thats all I have to say.
Oh yeah! Do you mind if i print this out and hang it on my wall?
I'm not joking- answer me, k?
And too, a big Yasher Koach!!