Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Master of my Fate


 Posted by Hello

This is my favorite necklace. It's comforting on several levels, especially when I am feeling hopeless and uncreative. And of course, I adore subtle tactile symbolism.

But if I really were "the master of my fate" in the fullest sense (which is not necessarily a power I would be entirely at ease with) I wonder; what would I do?

Well...

- I would publish at least one book.
- I would learn to ice skate.
- I would take a regular yoga class.
- I would learn to speak at least three languages fluently.
- I would meet JK Rowling.
- I would take gymnastics lessons.
- I would read more "classics".
- I would sing on a Broadway stage (with or without an audience.)
- I would take cooking lessons.
- I would climb a rock wall.
- I would take all kinds of dancing lessons.
- I would meet Robin Ventura and Todd Zeile.
- I would watch "Gone With the Wind" in its entirety.
- I would discipline myself and learn to play the piano.
- I would go to Greece, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

It's an interesting thing to think about. I never realized how badly I wanted to climb a rock wall before, or go to Japan of all places. Isn't it fascinating when you discover bits of yourself that you never fully felt?

And because it is spring, and it is nice to try fresh things, I will put this to you. If you could do anything, what would you do?

6 comments:

torontopearl said...

I believe that you will accomplish more than one item on that wanna-do list: reading more classics, publishing a book; cooking lessons.
The rest might come in time.

Do send me a copy of your book, though!

(and I'll be in the audience when you're on that Broadway stage...and then we can change places!)

Chaim said...

Nice post! Love the necklace

Anonymous said...

Hi there:
It is me- the mom with coffee in the A.M. You continue to delight me if I have been absent from commenting. What a lovely necklace and a truly lovely post. You have a manner of expression that captures what your readers would write- if they could write. That is a talent. Now for the fun part- what would I do? For starts I have bigger ice skating dreams- I'll stop nothing short of Olympic Gold- crushing Michelle Kwan and the others (pretty good since I can't even lace my boots let alone stand on them)I dream of travel too- my hope is for Europe, each and every country. Thanks for the opportunity to dream.. It seems like it may be a very good day!

goodshluffin' said...

well, well, well...
the infamous necklace!
at last!
i was wodering if that would appear.
and what a muchly cool post.
(you see? im learning and picked up a bit of the local jargon.)
oh yes.
a wish list of some sort, it seems.
well you have a pretty decent one going...
GOOD LUCK!!
but i have no doubts what so ever that you will succeed.

goodshluffin' said...

by the way-
how DID you get that picture up there?

Anonymous said...

You can borrow GWTW from me and view it whenever it's convenient.