Thursday, April 07, 2005

Silent Light

Daylight savings is better than my birthday.

Daylight savings is better than mint-chocolate chip ice cream.

Daylight savings is better than reading.

Blasphemous it may well be, but this time of year elicits all stealthy versions of the truth, and I must confess- Light gives me an exhilaration that cannot be rivaled by any distractive entertainment. I'm not quite sure of the reason, as by all appearances nighttime suits me better. I revel in the silent splendor of moonlight, I thrill in getting lost in the inky anonymity of darkness. But somehow, light lends me a kind of freedom unparalleled by any affected midnight disguises. Freedom of movement, freedom of thought, freedom of sight... When it is light, I can move without inhibition or fear, and I can really, really see. Observation is my lifeline, my shelter in places where the press of people overwhelms my senses, and the clearer I see, the stronger I feel. Light does more than highlight the daytime... Light elucidates my mind.

No comments: