Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Consider the Source

Recently, I've become fascinated with the nature of the origin. I do this every so often, plunging into an obscure query that no one quite knows how to respond to. A few months ago it was 'What are tissues made of?' Ah, the ringing silence that followed that one...

My current confusion causes me to ponder whenever the mood strikes me, where do things come from? Senior Cut Day, bottled water, bean bag chairs... What was the motive? But names, in particular, elicit extensive meditation. Hebrew names, for the most part, are one way or another traced back to history I know, but where does the name, say, Amelia come from? Or Frederick? Or Lucille? Did they come from words perhaps, from Latin or Greek? From a plant name? And ultimately, how did that object, that static noun evolve into a term that could entitle a person for the rest of their lives? Why is Violet an accepted (if slightly outdated) name, while Begonia is not? Who decided that Pearl and Ruby made appealing names, while Amethyst and Opal do not? And why? I always seem to end up at the why of things. I walk through the maze of a problem in my mind, following the tracks others have made on similar quests, fighting not to become ensnared by every unique niche, until as always I return to this door. I can actually see it, plain and worn from countless shoulders rammed against it in frustration, vaguely glossy after endless backs have sunk down against it in defeat. A small, nondescript sign dangles lopsidedly from a nail, asking, lest you have forgotten, 'Why?'. This mundane portal exudes a tantalizing, almost seductive aura of satisfaction, close to irresistable as it evokes wave after wave of humanity's most ancient goad- curiosity. And halfway down the door there hovers a nearly invisible keyhole, into which fits a miniscule, prefect, glowing key. But you must bring the key with you to the door, and once you arrive without it, you must begin all over.

I don't know whether this phenomenon is a blessing or a curse, but I suppose the origin problem can be quelled in kind with 'why'- The answer is not always the end, as long as the beginning is just as strong a motivation.

1 comment:

torontopearl said...

Yay...my name is appealing. :)