Thursday, February 17, 2005

Apolitical

I am blessed to have friends without politics. From what I've gathered from the conversation of some of my more peripheral acquaintances (and yes, I admit it, the movies) high school is barely high school without backstabbing, three way phone calls and ambiguous text messaging that leave you in one sided relationships. And I won't get started on the sewage those of the opposite gender introduce into the mix! Just listening to a very smart, rational girl I know recount the epic of her various beaus made me dizzy.
My friends have no boyfriends. My friends don't have cell phones (though not for lack of trying.) We rarely even speak on the phone, except for the occasional homework query. My anti-social tendencies are a running joke between the three of us, and yet somehow they lure me out too subtly to recognize. Topics for conversation are plucked from the air around us and we fill the spaces with laughter. We can be quiet together, tired together, in pain and in horribly rotten moods together, and begrudge each other not a moment. Competition is not a factor between us, and I have never complained about one to the other. It is to them that I owe every particle of public confidence, humor and happiness I posses.
And somehow, together, the future does not scare me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! YOU ARE, WOW! (sniffles)
M, the feelings are mutual I (we) feel the very same. We are happy to be where we are today. Great friends! Baruch Hashem!
-S

Anonymous said...

You are a really lucky person to be able to write about such good friends!

--Penina's Abba.

Anonymous said...

Miss M... what can I say? This blog is really nice. So tell me when it will be updated.
GeeZee

Anonymous said...

Hi there- I fell upon your blog and was delighted by your writing- Are you really just in high school? Where have you been? I know life gets busy in high school but please post- I love to read you with my morning coffee before the kids are awake.