Sunday, February 13, 2005

Weekend Review

This past Shabbos I attended my Senior Shabbaton (weekend retreat). It was an interesting experience on many levels, most particularly because it was so refreshingly low key. I have nearly always returned from such school gatherings stained bone deep with exhaustion, but today I suffer from no such adverse afflictions. To be honest, I can't quite decide if I enjoyed the experience or not- I am most unequivocally not the sort of person who is at ease in social situations, however innocuous. Spending a night away from my own bed and bathroom is also not a prospect that makes me particularly comfortable, nor is it pleasant for anyone to suffer through a screeching headache from lunch until dinner. However, if I did not quite adore the experience, it certainly was a considerable improvement on the past formula. There was a lot more laughter and a lot less emotional discomfort than in any previous Shabbaton, and for the first time there was Taboo, which I found to be an excellent game. I did not consider not going (Senior Shabbaton, after all), but for the first time I do not regret my decision.

In other news:
~This is the last week of in-school practice for Production. My throat is in tatters and the drama is horrendous (to the extent that I feel lucky not to be in the audience), but I can't help but to feel excited. (My newfound proclivity for optimism is frightening me, by the way.)

~I've finally sent out my application to Stern, with a remarkable 48 hours to spare. Now I have only one more acceptance letter to worry about...

~Speaking of which, this Tuesday is the Red Letter day for Seminary responses. I received one letter this past week, an appreciated but disturbingly brusque form informing me I had been accepted. (It went along the lines of, "We like you. Come. Give us money," as my sister said.) I have one more Seminary letter coming. It should be interesting to see the verdict...

~Aurthur Miller, a great American playwright, has passed away. This is a sad and strange occasion for me, as to my knowledge he is the first author whom I have read who has passed away during my conscious years. I wonder if my English teacher will bring it up tomorrow. Somehow, Mr. Miller always seemed immortal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT?! Arthur Miller passed away?! When, how come no one told me about this?
He really did have cool books, talking about society, how it used to be back then...He was one of the great writers.
-S