Monday, January 09, 2006

A Life Is Not Of Questions Asked

Boy, time flies, time flies...
she says.
I think,
Again? I know.
Or thought I knew, more like.

Brooklyn accents spoken thick
Like cream cheese, on a sesame bagel.
Good times, right?
The best, but always over
even before I blink.

Relic stories, drifting
In my hazy mind, so foolish.
Of a bridesmaid- believe it, now she's fifty
And friends who remember when my mother was born.

It seems that things should disappear
Instead of thoughts, in the end.
Unfair, I think,
I'd rather have the memories.
Which weighs more, the thirtieth day
Or two hundred magnets?
Or watches, all from Swatch, of course
But why?

Why- the answers
I never know
Those that she knew, I think.
But she never asked the question.
Only just went through the alphabet
the letters of love,
With never a why
Like letters she got in the mail- and sent!
Our only honest pen-pal.

I love to hear from you,
I know.
(I should call more often)
Too busy, though.
And how is school?
It's good,
I'm safe
Like Jackie Robinson.
And by tomorrow...
I'll be a genius.

I love you...
too...
Again...
I'll call...
I'll try
I know...
I try
She never asked.

_____

In memory of my Grandmother.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really sweet! Hope you are having an easy fast.

Keren Perles said...

You have a few really excellent lines in here. The seseme bagel line, the "why" line...

There are a few bits in here that I feel are private jokes. And I'm also wondering what prompted you to write this just now. But I suppose if you wanted us to know, you would have told us. Your grandmother must have been someone very special for you to write so elloquently about her.

And those last lines...haunting. And something so many of us can relate to.

M said...

My grandmother passed away last week- I came back to the States for her levaya and the shiva. I should have mentioned it in the post, but it just seemed self evident from my position. Thanks for the clarity prompt :)

Anonymous said...

Knowing you're "back" (as opposed to the sacreligious "home" :) I figured I'd check in- very happy I did. Again, I wish I could express proper sympathy for your loss- I can guarantee you your grandmother cherished you and merited a tremendous amount of pride and accomplishment watching you grow.
Blog is as lovely as always- and it was such a wonderful surprise to see you. You're missed quite a lot in those hallowed halls... Please keep in touch!
Love always,
MN

Anonymous said...

it's beautiful..

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem. Keep writing and writing.

ilan said...

Lovely. I have to reread this one, and slowly. This is a poem that begs to be experienced, not just read.
Beautiful.