Monday, May 28, 2007

Presence and Presents of Potter: In the Chamber

Episode Three

My legs were numb, my eyes raw. My back was curled tight over this little book, this little book that seemed to exert some phenomenal pressure as it rested on my lap.

My lips were parted, perhaps in awe, perhaps in anticipation of a scream. Maybe to ensure that I continued to breathe as my desperate friend fought off those terrible symbiotic monsters. With him I felt the stab of betrayal in a blind and foolish trust; swallowed the agony of helplessness, of fear like shards of frozen glass as the dreaded answers came. Deadly serpent and fatal dream together encircled my friend as he fought for his life, and the lives of others dear to us. I watched him stab the serpent and felt the terrible wave of shame and fear (and was it... relief?) as he began to die at the hands of his enemies. And the same instinct, same ice-cold realization gripped me as I watched him, as though in liquid time, stab that dark little book.

The gasp of a girl echoed in my ears- perhaps it was Ginny.

When it was over I walked through my night-darkened house, looking for a room with enough light to wash away the sense that I had died and been reborn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really get into your reading. I'm impressed!